Conservation and the younger generation.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Conservation and the younger generation.

Post by Rbjustme on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Continued from Matureozchats....

Topic started by Ice cream

Members Medal  Bronze Medal  Bronze Star  Silver Medal
Silver Star  Gold Medal  Gold Star

Australia's friendliest forum.
Building a happy community.
Doing it our way!

Google Plus
Rbjustme
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.matureozchat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Conservation and the younger generation.

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:14 pm

I know that we all complain, or say, that the younger generation is lazy. What will our country become?
Have they got it right though? The younger sect that I know, seem to be more interested in our planets plight and are willing to work (unpaid) and gain knowledge, so that they can improve out planets environment.
They are worried that we have been so destructive. So, who is lazy? We have our day to day lives which are important to us, the younger generation have different goals. Does this mean they are lazy or does it mean that they are playing a more important role for all of us? Huh!

Posted by Ice cream
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Not lazy, just better informed I think. When we were kids everything was recycled, brown paper saved for wrapping parcels, string for the same purpose. No take away's except the local Chinese food shop, where you turned up with your saucepan to take it home in.

So re the above, it is the consumer society that has made the rubbish which pollutes the seas, and land. I have planted many thousands of trees in my life, and picked up bags of rubbish wherever I went as a "grey nomad", still pick up stuff in the parks and gardens, and always take rubbish with me after a picnic etc.

The world is in mainly good hands after my generation I hope, we need to keep recycling, and keep the message out there that we (humanity) only has one planet and we all need to contribute to the well being for the future.

*PK climbs down off soap box and pours a merlot*

Posted by Peacekeeper
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

I think there are a lot of environmentally and ethically conscious people nowadays, not just the younger generation. I think though, young people are definitely a huge part of the push for change and for bringing awareness to issues like global warming, and a push for companies to reduce waste and to operate in a way that is more socially responsible. There are quite a lot of people against companies using unsustainable palm oil, and also a push to put an end animal testing in cosmetics, to save the barrier reef. It's almost like a trend to care about all of this stuff these days, and quite a lot of people in Melbourne voted for The Greens. Quite a lot of people ride identical 'vintage' bikes. It's like hippies 2.0 haha...and the internet is a fantastic tool in bringing about change, too.

In terms of young people, I met some students when doing the Live Below The Line thing a couple of years ago. It was my first experience in volunteering, but I met a few other students who were doing it (One found me on the net and got me to come help out at the campus to sell food for the cause) and I noticed that they cared so deeply about a whole range of other issues and attend other groups, volunteering for a number of things. It opened a whole new world for me, and though I was the only one there not studying something like they were, I know now that I definitely want to work for a company that is either not for profit, or is known to be socially responsible. I study Business, and no one in my course seems like these people, everyone just kind of wants to get ahead in their own lives. You notice 90% of them use a Mac in class and own an Iphone. So many people seem to have brand new shiny cars, gone are the days when students drive anything like the first cars the older generations had. One of the girls I met when volunteering, I have on Facebook still, and she seems to be so into everything she can get her hands on in terms of living sustainably, reducing poverty, helping the environment. She has volunteered overseas, as most of the students had, and continues to help people over there. She tries to car pool with people and avoid driving. All her furniture is from hard rubbish collections, she even tried 'Freeganism' which is where people take food from bins at supermarkets etc and use what can still be salvaged to reduce waste. She does a lot of other things, and has a lot of friends into similar stuff, I've noticed. They are unlike anyone I've met and I think it's great. I think in the future, it is these people who will contribute a lot to our country, and to the world.

Posted by Boo
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

I knew a couple who lived out of the dumper at a big supermarket, they said they were feeding it to their pigs, but in reality it mostly went to them and their 2 kids. Shame they didn't spend their energy in growing veggies I reckon, it prob would have been better nutritionally for the family.

I agree with you Boo, there are lots of people volunteering, older generations volunteer in National Parks cleaning out weeds and picking up rubbish, and eradicating feral plants. I met a couple who had worked up in the Gulf of Carpentaria picking up rubbish off the beach, fishing nets, plastic of various types and thongs! (the footwear not the underwear).

Posted by Peacekeeper
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:16 pm

There is laziness in all generations, the younger generation of today have been branded because of a minority who would not raise off their bum to scratch it. This has been caused through media attention specifically pointing toward the negative side of our younger society.

Just reading the posts above, is an example of what we should be focused on, and for every one lazy person there would be a lot more that are actively involved in the current issues a discussed above.

Previous generations were not aware of the consequences of pollution until the issue became totally out of hand, but then, the big companies, the politicians and major polluters ignored it through greed, and turned a blind eye to it, the economy was worth more than conservation in their eyes.

Sadly this is still happening, but it is the volunteers in the young society that do a lot of work, just to gain experience, but most of all, they care about reducing pollution and the preservation of our world.

It's not only the young now though, people from my generation and others after are playing a role in trying help clean up this mess. As a whole the community as one are uniting on the one front, it's a pity the politicians have tunnel vision.

The economy is important to every country, but not to the detriment of our planet, but try and tell that to the major polluting country governments. Referring to our own governments policy on the huge coal mine they want to develop (owned by an Indian firm) on the Great barrier Reef, as well as the fracking rage going on in this country and indeed around the world.

It's just obscured, we are nowhere near as self sufficient as we should be, this would go a long way in boosting our economy, without the needs to allow foreign companies to destroy one of the worlds greatest ecological wonders.

The majority of our young people are not lazy. Serious man

Everyone. Nice thread

Posted by RB
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum