Google Plus
Rbjustme
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.matureozchat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Battling India's Illegal Tiger Trade

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

This trade in India is appalling, Tigers being slaughtered for their skins and body parts exported to China. I singed a partition against this years ago and it is still going on.

One of the other reasons they do it, is to extract the penis of the tiger, dry it, grind it up and sell it as an aphrodisiac. This is preposterous, but now at last something is being done about it.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com.au/video/

The Indian government has spent millions of dollars to stop this trade and you have to raise your hat to them, this link is just one example, education, and it's brilliant. This is a very positive bright spot in the world today. Very Happy

Courtesy, National Geographic.

Posted by RB
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

I watched a documentary about this a few years ago. It is very sad. I feel (This may be racist, I don't know) but I feel if there was more education getting to people out in China/rural China who have these ancient superstitions and drive the trade, the demand for it would reduced and eventually eradicated altogether. While there is a demand for it, there will always be people trying to buy and sell it on black markets.

Perhaps someone (Government) should confiscate the products and scientifically test it for actual medicinal evidence to see if it does or does not act as an aphrodisiac, or study some other foods that are known to do so to compare whether there could be something (e.g oysters or herbs) far cheaper/accessible and better, therefore reducing the demand for it. If the results were to show it was of little medicinal value, and that message was widely publicised, that could be helpful, too.

In parts of Africa also there is a trade for the limbs of albino people to be used in witchcraft! People were killing and taking albino children so that they could have better fishing hauls in their nets that year. I don't believe in taking people away from their culture and trying to force our beliefs on them, but on the same token I don't think its alright to leave them to it at the cost of the tigers. Seriously, none of that will stop if you don't bring people away from superstition and towards logic-and I feel that can only be done by investing in education.

Posted by Boo
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rbjustme on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Scientific tests have been done with regards to the aphrodisiac, and the compound has no effect on anyone that way at all. It's a myth.

Members Medal  Bronze Medal  Bronze Star  Silver Medal
Silver Star  Gold Medal  Gold Star

Australia's friendliest forum.
Building a happy community.
Doing it our way!

Google Plus
Rbjustme
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.matureozchat.com

Back to top Go down