Google Plus
Rbjustme
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.matureozchat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Off Grid Living

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:32 pm

I should have mentioned that she is being given a part of her father's property. It is 88 acres so she will have plenty of room. Rates etc are covered. There is water available to build, she will need tanks for later of course. The house itself will be small enough so that she won't need a permit, a little like cabin size. Fencing is not an issue until later. Garden is important. She is vegetarian so stock is not an issue either. Except chooks (for eggs) and maybe a goat. As it is in the country she may be able to find a farmer who will sell her some fresh milk. When my ex and I moved there we had wind power. Cost us $50 for the generator as we climbed the windmill ourselves to get it. My ex was very handy and had a lot of know how. Grassroots is great and we used it when we were building as well. We should be able to help a little as we built a mud brick house ourselves. :-D I think most of the things you have spoken about are covered. I am thinking about things like water heating (donkey heater), making home made firelighters, flooring, alternative to glass for windows (maybe a built in skylight). Oven etc. I know I had the old fashioned cast iron stove,but these are expensive, the cast iron iron which was heated on the stove. Even things like guttering, as an adobe house is made of mud, even the roof, so some sort of run off needs to be built into it and sealed properly. Basically, I think the bigger things are covered, it is the smaller things that are an unknown quantity. I am looking at those things she will need to be reasonable comfortable.
She has a friend who plans gardens so this should be a help for her. In fact she has many friends who are into alternative living and can give her help in some areas.

Posted by Ice cream
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:32 pm

It seems like you have everything covered IC, I can't think of any other suggestions for you at this stage, but if I do I'll post them. Serious man

Posted by The Ghost
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:33 pm

She will discover things as she goes, that's always the case, but a hot shower, a meal and a warm bed are a good start, and it's not as though she is totally on her own, she has plenty of people to help out if necessary.

Posted by Leroy
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:33 pm

It will be great for her to challenge herself and think of solutions to various problems as they arise. I know it was very satisfying sitting on my front verandah looking over my veggie garden through the rose bushes with birds and lizards all around, knowing that you were (even if only slightly) doing something positive for the earth and yourself. There so much satisfaction and enjoyment in watching my grandkids pick their own veggies for dinner, and collect the eggs, a chance most city kids never get. Just teaching them that bees are their friends not to be swatted away was something good,

Posted by Peacekeeper
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum