Topic started by Boo.
Rbjustme
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.matureozchat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Elderley Drivers

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:14 am

My grandad speeds...bit scary thinking of him on the road really! He's become afraid to drive long distances on his own as well....dunno how much longer he should be on the road.

Posted by Boo.
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:15 am

Oh Gawd, don't start me...living in a village lets you see what a high percentage of old codgers are bad drivers. One of my neighbours cannot get out of her drive without using my carport as part of the turning circle.....yet repeatedly there are delivery vans that can!! My dear "over the road" mate turns 90 next month and I have driven with him..eeeek! yet every year they set out with the caravan and drive up to Qld for the winter. Twice recently I have been waiting to cross the road on my bike and they have gone past I have waved but they did not even see me...no idea what is going on around them...point the car and go. I had to take Dad's licence off him, and later Mum's...it is not a pleasant chore but had to be done. I hope I have the wisdom to pull the pin when I need to and not make my kids have the hard job.

Members Medal Bronze Medal Bronze Star Silver Medal
Silver Star Gold Medal

Posted by Peacekeepr
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:16 am

My Mum didn't pass the eye test, so she couldn't renew her licence. Sold her car. She's 81.

I feel better knowing she's off the road now. They just don't have the awareness needed to be in traffic, it's faster and less forgiving as the population increases. They also don't cope very well with challenges, such as if they miss the turn or the road is closed for some reason.

Posted by Krashlanded

Last edited by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:17 am

What about yesterday as an example of older drivers.....

went to the shopping centre to get my mail from PO box, and some milk, backed out of my parking spot, using my rearview camera I have a perfect view which is in perspective, unlike the side mirrors. Finished backing, just put into D gear, when clunk!!!!!

A small hatchback driven by a bloke about 75 had backed into my rear right hand side!!!! And when I got out and said I need to see your details, his mate said "were you looking where you were going?" I mean who hit who!!!!??? So spent the rest of the day on the phone to insurance company, but got an assessment appointment so went out the other side of town for that, then to prove that I had paint protection I was supposed to email copy of invoice to repairer....could not get internet due to wind (NOT me, the weather).

anyway have completed that chore this morning, now only have to ring insurer again to organise hire car....first week in January for repairs, luckily they don't close down over Christmas period, YAY!

Silver Star Gold Medal

Posted by Peacekeeper
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:18 am

People are far to eager to point the finger at someone else even if they know that they are in the wrong, why not just be honest, save the stress and do what is necessary to fix the problem? Frustrated

Silver Star

Posted by The Ghost.
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:18 am

Oh what a thing that would be for someone to admit it was their fault! I freely admit stuff when I am to blame but not this time!

Silver Star Gold Medal
Peacekeeper has been thanked by:
Rbjustme

Posted by Peacekeeper
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:20 am

I second what spooky has said! Mind you it's not just the elderly either. Frustrated

Beer! I am the latest Mozl

Posted by Leroy
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Members Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:22 am

I think that everyone should have their driving tested regularly after the age of 60. I know that seems awfully young, but as we all know, some people at 60 aren't as on the ball mentally as some 90 year olds. This is what an older driver did in my suburb recently.

Same week we also saw another elderly man drive into his neighbours swimming pool, and yet another drive onto the freeway via the off ramp...obviously going the wrong direction!

Posted by Hellsbelle
Members Posts
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peacekeeper on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:32 pm

So the state government thinks that Senior drivers should be designated by a 'S' plate??? WTF for, it is not us who cause the majority of the accidents, or who drive under the influence of drugs, or race up and down the streets at night burning rubber. What a farce, I shall protest to the UN they seem to like supporting underdogs.

As an adjunct to the Motoring topic, here is my travel report -

Left home last Saturday with camper van in tow, headed to Melbourne for the night, then off down to Gippsland on Sunday morning - to visit with our revered leader Rb Rippa Rita! It is freeway most of the way, sun was shining, and green paddocks were a welcome sight to these Central Victorian eyes who are now used to brown paddocks.

He let me set up in his front yard, and then we settled in to have a yarn about the new forum and how I could assist him. By the time we sorted out my new tablet, it was drinks time, we were joined by Spooky (who does not drink fortunately) and the evening progressed till a beautiful meal of corned silverside and salad was served by Rb. A few more drinks, then off to be for all of us. A somewhat bleary start for me in the morning, lots of work achieved for my computer and for the forum. Then blow me down it was drinks time again! Another fantastic meal from my host, a few more drinks then lights out.

Packed up in the morning then headed north to home, an uneventful drive of about 340Kms, which is the way I like it. Thanks for your hospitality and help Rb, and great to meet you Spooky. Agree Jubilant
Peacekeeper
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum